Saturday 1 May 2010

Oilseed rape redrilling estimates

I see the Ukraine Min of Ag has upped the amount of oilseed rape that needs re-drilling to 433,700 ha.

It’s nigh on impossible for me to estimate the actual amount of crop in difficulty and any assessment I make is based on what I see and instinct but it is fair to say that rape took hell of a beating this winter.

However let’s try and put it in to context. I am only replacing about 15% of the rape crop I have responsibility for which is only slightly above the average level of winter kill for Ukraine.

Other growers I am talking to are giving me the message that it’s not all that bad.

We have seen temperature and sun levels increase this week and crops are looking much better.

As I have said in the past, it’s not going to be a bumper year and some crops are looking very crap but OSR in Ukraine generally does look crap unless it’s being grown by competent and experienced foreign growers.

So 433,700ha of crop which was pretty ropey in the first place is not as bad as 433,700ha of quality stuff.