Tuesday 24 May 2016

Second Black Sea Crop Tour of the season to get underway

Reports out of Ukraine and Russia seem to be saying the same thing; all is good and another barn busting crop is on the way.

I have no doubt there is but my contacts who are spread out all over Ukraine and Russia keep slipping comments in their emails along the lines of missed fertiliser applications, delayed fungicides, rain delaying planting, cool weather hurting newly emerged spring crops and I hope the wheat doesn’t fall over.

Standard stuff in farming circles I know but now it’s time I took a look for myself.

From Sunday I will head out to Ukraine to meet up with colleagues then hit the road on Monday to kick off the second crop tour of the 2016 season.

After a few days driving around Ukraine I will cross the border into Russia to do the same thing there.

The main target of this crop tour will be to assess the general condition of the main spring planted crops of corn, sunflower and soya but I will also take a view on wheat plus anything else of note.

As with previous tours I will tweet in real time what we are seeing on the member’s only Twitter account @BSCT_01 including comments, photographs and videos.

The last trip produced 173 tweets including 80 photographs and 40 video reports with two written reports.

Drop me a line via the "contact me here.." bit to the right of this blog if you would like to sign up to the only truly independent Black Sea Crop Tour and find out what crops are really like in Ukraine and Russia.