Sunday 5 September 2010

Weather, what’s it gonna do?

The weather in Ukraine flicks like a switch I kid you not. One minute we are in the middle of a sweltering summer heatwave and then bang, autumn arrives overnight.

Temperatures have returned to near normal and it feels like we should start sowing wheat; just finishing off the last oilseed rape field and after a quick service of the drill we will crack on.

Rather worryingly my local farm team is telling me that everyone is predicting that winter will arrive at the end of October and a big freeze will set in lasting until the spring.

“What rubbish! I was wearing shirt sleeves in November last year” I said, feeling a bit like Napoleon scoffing his advisors when they told him how chilly the Russian winter really could get and he should pack an extra set of undies before setting off to conquer Moscow.