Tuesday 14 December 2010

Sell sell sell!

My article on the land moratorium in the Kyiv Post has elicited a published response which was the general idea, to get a bit of debate going on the subject.

.

Marcin Swiecicki, director of the Blue Ribbon Analytical and Advisory Centre and former minister for foreign economic relations of Poland gives a good account and strong argument for lifting the ban on farmland sales in Ukraine.

.

You can read his full account here but essentially Marcin disagrees with my posit that lifting the moratorium is not necessarily a good thing for all concerned.

.

He suggests that "the prospect of giving more rights to 6.9 million owners of land plots spurred defenders of the status quo, such as Michael Lee in his column “Nation should not be in rush to lift moratorium on sale of farmland”.

.

I’m not sure if there are any defenders of the staus quo, I certainly haven’t read any which is why I wrote my article in the first place; just trying to give a different perspective on the subject.

.

Marcin continues to disagree with my analysis and believes that the termination of the moratorium, together with the adoption of proper regulatory laws, will produce many positive results.

.

Couldn’t agree more, if proper regulatory laws are implemented, and that’s a big if given the usual experience in Ukraine.