Friday 6 August 2010

More than one way to skin a cat

Officially the Ukraine national government is saying they will not put export restrictions in place; to comply with WTO rules they aren’t allowed to.

However regional government is tasked with ensuring food security and can put in other measures to make it difficult to sell and transport grain locally thereby restricting the export of grain by other means. Sneaky.

I am about sell some wheat today so I will see what restrictions have been put in place.

At the moment I have some interested buyers who are offering 1,550UAH/128GBP for milling grade but I am also hearing that there are some other quality criteria that might mean that our milling wheat is suddenly "no longer suitable for milling”.

I will let you know if this turns out to be the case.